Sunday, December 2, 2012

Happy Birthday to me

Hellooooooo friends and family!
This week was my birthday week and lots of stuff has happened, so let's begin!
Monday was just another long day at school, both schools.  I continued my Thanksgiving lesson with all of my classes.  I had several educational games and worksheets planned out for each of my grade levels, but after the 6th or 7th time handing out the same turkey themed word search this lesson is getting a little old.  I found out that there are now two english teachers at one of my schools that have just up and quit their jobs mid semester.  Luckily the French school system has found replacements for both teachers so their classes can continue as scheduled.  Somedays I wish I could just up and quit my job when things get tough, but then again that won't be carrying out the American spirit, now would it? I got to administer a test at the end of my very long day, which provided a nice reprieve from 6 hours of teaching.  Two students had missed class the week before so they still needed to take a test.  The teacher had explained to me before class exactly how he wanted me to administer the tests and told me I could speak with the students in French to make sure they completely understand what is expected of them on the tests.  So, when I began explaining the directions (in french) the looks on their faces were priceless.  Utter shock that an American can speak french.
Tuesday is one of two days off during the week and this particular Tuesday I got a special xmas care package from my mom.  It had a miniature xmas trees with lights, ornaments and even a little tree skirt. She also put xmas gifts and stockings for Chad and I inside.  My housemates were happy to see some American xmas goodies had been packed inside as well.  Our house is now decorated with paper snowflakes and a miniature xmas tree.  We are all ready for the holiday season!  Later in the day Janine, Deliece and I took the bus to check out the local library, but of course we spend those 5 hours shopping instead.
 
Wednesday is my second day in a row of no teaching so I made a big batch of my grandma's chicken noodle soup and it tastes AMAZING!  Just like grandma makes it :)
Thursday morning was again spent at school all morning.  I needed to make photocopies for a couple of my classes so I woke up at 5am and got to school at 7am to find out that the school doesn't open its doors till 7:30am.  It was freezing and raining and still pitch black outside so I waited out in the bank lobby just down the street from my school.  For one of my classes I was working with 5ieme students (12-13 year olds) on talking about their best friend in as much detail as possible.  They were scheduled to have an oral exam over this topic the next day so their teacher wanted them to get in one last practice with me.  I had a great lesson planned out to help them practice, but of course no one wanted to pay attention and focus.  I think this was due to the fact that these students are realizing I can't give them grades so they figure "why should we do any of the work?".  Two of the students switched names and played this up for pretty much the entire class until the very end when I called on one of them to practice their presentation and the student with the correct name answered me first.  The look on their faces when they realized the joke was up was priceless.  I of course played this up to really emphasize that they can't mess with me.  I told their teacher what had happened after class and she gave them quite the lecture right in the middle of the hallway telling them their privileges with the assistant are gone and they will never get to work with me again.  Thank god for that cause they were very exhausting students to have to work with...
Friday I had 3 hours of teaching in the afternoon, which again went by as usual.  By usual I mean riddled with little problems.  I was so happy when the final bell of the day rang I about ran out of that school faster than the students do.
Saturday was my birthday and I had lots planned to celebrate the occasion   I was afraid it would be difficult spending a birthday away from friends and family from back home, but my new "french family" helped keep me occupied all day and made it a fabulous birthday.  The started off with a trip to the hair salon for a new hair cut!  I decided to take a leap of faith and chopped all my hair off, well not bald but a short pixie cut.  Janine went with me and I'm so glad she did.  As the hair stylist was chopping off chunks of hair I had to keep looking at Janine for reinforcement that what she was doing didn't look horrible.  About halfway through the haircut I considered stopping and trying to reattach the hair somehow, but then figured that would look even worse than if I just let her finish.  By the end of the haircut I really loved what she had done with my hair.  Next on the schedule was a girly shopping day with the girls (Janine, Deliece, Emily and Grace).  We went to the big shopping mall in Lille and spent several hours wandering through the shops.  I had to buy myself a hat because my head is now cold in the freezing winter weather.  For the evening we had a big pizza party with the group (Janine, Deliece, Emily, Grace, Jack, Jason and Max).  We had plenty of food and desserts to go around.  Janine made me a homemade white cake with butter cream icing in the middle, melted Milka chocolate on top and sprinkled with speculous cookies.  (Best cake ever!)  I opened my presents, which I was not expecting, and ended off the evening with a movie (Crazy, Stupid Love).  Very good birthday!!





Well, it's Sunday afternoon and Janine and Emily are making mince pies (a traditional British pastry made with some kind of jarred mince filling- I believe a mix of apples, raisins and cognac).  I've tried one and while I'm not a fan it was still good to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment